The Great Southern Rally
14 - 19 March 2010
We left Dannevirke about 6.30 am on the 10th march to catch the 10.30 am,
Cook Strait ferry.
We went via the Wairarapa over the Rimutuka ranges to get to Wellington.
Just out of Carterton we had a fuel problem, blocked needle valve, fixed that,
then dash pots started to stick, sorted that, and made it on time to the ferry.
We were meeting Dolphy Mathis and his daughter Johanna at ferry and they
were a bit worried as they hadn't seen us, gave us ring on the bat phone just
as we were going up the ramp onto the ship.
We had a perfect crossing, didn't even feel any turbulence at Karori point it
was sooo calm. I let the side down, I am a lousy sailor.
Off the ferry at Picton, and on to Blenheim, there we stayed over night. We
met a couple from the Australian contingent when we were out having tea.
Very dry going over the hills just out of Blenheim. Saw a couple of seals on
the rocks going down the Kaikoura coast. The sea started to get quite
choppy and we drove into grey weather at Oaro.
Stopped at Cheviot for lunch, and when it was time to leave a certain
Wolseley Messenger decided it wanted to stay put. Out with the Jumper
leads and we were on the way again.
Dolphy got a new battery at Ch-ch.
Stayed a few days in Ch-ch with family, nice to catch up and meet the new
Next day we went out to the parts shed at Burwood and met up with some of
the wolseley people and have a look through the parts available to members.
What a lot they have tucked into that shed,
That evening we met up with most of the Wolseley lot at the Redwood Hotel
Ch-ch and had a lovely meal, what an amazing selection of food. Little did we
know that it was the beginning of lots of good food.

By Ivan and Mary McCutcheon
15th. Jolly glad I put some warm clothes in my bag as it was very cold. Left Bayview Dunedin and went over the hill to Brighton beach, beautiful sea, grey green with the spume blowing backwards and grey/white sandy beaches. We missed some photo shots of the sea rolling past an island to the shore. I hope someone else took a photo of this scene as it was spectacular.
Great spread for morning tea at Balclutha there was enough to feed us all for lunch as well.
But that was at Owaka. We missed the turn off to Kaka point and the Nugget point light house which is well worth going to visit. At the light house there is a variety of native penguins and seals to see and, to me, some of the best scenery in N.Z. At Owaka we visited a museum, then went around to the local Hall for our BBQ lunch, which we were meant to have outside but the wind was a bit too lazy for that. I felt sorry for the folk tucked in behind the building cooking the food, which they did to perfection.
After lunch we continued on our way down through the Catlins conservation area, with native bush right down to the shore line and fine golden beaches.
We went for a walk into the Purakaunui, Matai and Horseshoe Falls, though not much water going over, they are still pretty. We had a very welcome cuppa at the Whistling Frog Café. I asked if they had the Whistling frogs there and was told they do, but they prefer to sing when the weather is not so dry.
Mclean falls are a pleasant walk through native bush to three tiers of falls, the top falls drop over a small canyon into a pool then burble down the lesser falls to where they are going.
We didn't stop at Curio bay to see the Petrified Forest as we though the tide would have been too high to walk out to see the trees. And I wasn't brave enough to brave the sand flies. Missed the turnoff to Waipapa Light house so we decided to do the sealed route to the Ascot Hotel where we were staying in Invercargill. The unit was roomy, warm and quiet. Before tea the men folk washed the cars at the fire hydrant and I did some much needed washing. The once again it was a great meal.

14th. Light cloud and mild, snow gone, thank goodness. Picked up with the Wolseley s at Bernham south
of Ch-ch and wended our way down to Tinwald south of Ashburton. There we stopped for a cuppa and a
look at the Rogers K class steam train all steamed and ready to go, some had a look at the vintage cars.
Before heading off we met Neil Kruze who makes audio travel guides to nz. He recommended we visit
Hayes hardware in Invercargill. Went over the longest bridge crossing the Rakia river.
Further down the way we took a photo of the 6/80 outside the Wolseley Hotel. How many did that?
Had some lunch at Oamaru then carried on to Dunedin, booked into our motel then met the others at the
Forbury Sports Centre where we were having tea. We picked up our rally packs, bought some raffle
tickets, met Mike and Carol Davies (Manawatu) who were in the area and were having the meal with us.
In the car park there was a 1900 Wolseley on display, Dolphy managed to have a ride on it, and later in
the evening we were given the history of the little car, I am so pleased it didn't get buried. The car has
been in the family since 1953 and when they couldn't sell or give it away it was decided to bury it. Fate
stepped in and there it was 110 years later pleasing everyone who sees it.

16th. We assembled in the car park at the hotel, what a sight so see so many Wolseleys together in one
place at one time. (23?) Then we went to the Gala street reserve in town where the cars had their picture
taken, and were left on display for the public to have a look at.
I don't know if many people ventured out to have a look as it had started to rain and was a bit chilly. We
hopped on a bus which took us to the Bill Richardson truck museum. What a lot of trucks to see, there was
an international car parked amongst the trucks. These cars were supplied to the agents selling the inter
trucks. Lots and lots of petrol bowsers, and other things as well I didn't know they came in so many
shapes and sizes.
We went from there to the local picture theatre where we had lunch delivered to us in little cardboard
boxes and a talk from Tim Shadbolt the local mayor, who was also in the film we were to see. Tims'
speech was short funny and informative. Although I had seen The Worlds Fastest Indian twice I still
enjoyed it. The film is one you can see many times and enjoy.
After the movie we went to Hayes Hardware shop where the original Indian that Burt Munroe built is on
display. There is also two other motorcycles Burt Munroe had built on display as well. An engine that Mr.
Hayes built for a $ from scraps from his neighbors shed was started up and run for everyone to see.
I believe that Mr. Hayes never got his $20, as his neighbor died before the engine was finished.
We walked back to our cars at Gala Street, Met Carol and mike, organized where to meet them for the
evening meal. This was at the Workingmen's club. After our meal we had a talk from a Lady who is
involved with the raring of the Kakapo our most endangered parrot. This I found very interesting and
informative. What a lot of hard work goes into keeping the survival of these strange and wonderful birds.

18th. Very cold today, glad I threw in my nice thick aran jersey, I also found a pair of old wooly gloves in my bag, although they had a hole in the thumb they still did the job.
Visited an old flax mill and were shown a film about how the flax was made into twine.
Mr. Templeton showed us the type flax used and how the very noisy machines strip the flax ready for drying. It is good that someone has kept something like old mill for the likes of us to see and learn about.
We had morning tea at the Les Brown Rural Heritage centre. This was a new shed where there were old tractors for us to look at and across the road we had a look at some more Tractors, each shed we went into the tractors got older and stranger.
Lunch was at Riverton racecourse and as we had a little time to spare we went out to the Rocks. This is a place my mother went for picnics when she was a girl. Very wild coastline here the coloured stones on the beach are worn smooth and round by the forces that eventually wash them ashore. Tried to take a photo of the fishing vessels moored at the pier and all I got was a dour picture of the rain. Had a nice meal at the racecourse but didn't hang around as we had a nice heater in the 6/80 and I was feeling a bit chilled.
We called into Cozy Nook bay on the way to TeAnau. At Cozy Bay is a handful of tiny cottages clustered together on the rugged shore. The houses are so close together they look like they are huddled there from the artic conditions that blow in. One house was named Poplaville Villa. As we continued on through the lovely Southland countryside I noticed bales of baleage very neatly spaced in rows, usually amongst the chowmolia paddocks. I was told later the reason for this is to reduce the amount of pugging of the paddocks in the winter.
We booked into our motel at TeAnau, had a cuppa and a read of the paper, then it was time to meet at the TeAnau Club for our meal and the prize giving. Everyone had a placemat which was a photo of all the cars taken at Invercargill.
We all received a nice little wooden plaque which we now have sitting on our bookcase in the dining room.
Dolphy Mathis won the peoples choice trophy as well as the overall trophy. Congratulations Dolphy!

© Copyright Wolseley Car Club
This site designed by G.McCutcheon 2009

17th Opted not to go to Stewart Island as the sea was running a bit high,. Instead four Wolseleys, Steve Finches 15/50, Collin Heys 1500, Allan Franciss'6/90 and us in our 6/80 went on an enjoyable rally to Mandeville where we took photo's of another Rogers K class steam train outside the Mandeville restaurant.  We had a look through the Aircraft museum which has only wooden framed planes, what a sight. And, we had the privilege of a tour through the workshop, which restore these wonderful old timers. I never realized how light the spruce wood they use in these old planes is. I picked up a small block of wood, expecting weight and it felt as light as a piece of paper.
We had very nice meal at the restaurant, as it was St. Patrick's day they had put on shepherds pie which quite a few of us had.
Stopped at Gore for a walk around, bought a book, then back to meet the others. We did a round or Burt Munroe's test strip then headed back to our motel and out to the next venue for tea

Next morning it was breakfast at the TeAnau club, and to say our farewells until the next time. For some this was quite early as they were going on a lake cruise, otherwise it was normal time to pack up to get ready for our homeward trip.
The Messenger was feeling bothersome again but with help from Gordon and co, we were on the road again.  We decided to travel up the middle of the Island this time. We went along HW6 through Kingston along Lake Wakatipu, at Queenstown we filled up then on to Cromwell where we stayed over night. Next day we were on our way we via the Lindis pass road  stopped at Lake Tekapo here we took a photo of the 6/80 by the lake with the little stone church in the background , I tried to get a shot of MacKenzies dog statue as well.On and over Burkes pass road where we stopped and had a bite to eat at Fairlie